We Are Ready To
Work For You
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Car Accidents
  4.  » Injuries that might cause delayed symptoms after a car accident

Injuries that might cause delayed symptoms after a car accident

On Behalf of | Nov 12, 2018 | Car Accidents

People in Iowa who are in car accidents might initially think they are not injured, but after several days, they may develop symptoms. Whiplash is one of the most common types of injuries that may only show symptoms after several days, and it commonly happens in accidents that occur at low speeds. Numbness in hands and arms may be one symptom. MRIs or other diagnostic tools may be used to confirm that a person has suffered whiplash.

Headaches several days after an accident might indicate serious conditions such as a concussion, a blood clot or another type of injury to the head or neck. The Back and Neck Pain Center reports that nearly 75 percent of side-impact crashes and over 50 percent of rear-impact collisions result in low back pain. This could happen because nerves, ligaments, muscles or the vertebrae are injured.

Swelling or pain in the abdomen should not be ignored since they can be caused by internal bleeding, and this can threaten a person’s life. Traumatic brain injuries can also be life-threatening. Vision and hearing problems, personality changes, and impairments in movement or thinking may all indicate a traumatic brain injury. Finally, people may have post-traumatic stress disorder after an accident. This could result in nightmares, flashbacks or other distressing experiences of recalling the incident.

If a person is injured in a motor vehicle accident and another driver causes the accident, that driver may also be responsible for the person’s medical bills. However, the person might struggle to collect compensation if there is a delay. The person’s insurance company might argue that the injury is unrelated to the accident. Therefore, people who are injured in car accidents might want to consult an attorney. The attorney may be able to negotiate with the insurance company or file a lawsuit if necessary.


FindLaw Network