Work For You
J. Russell Hixson
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
Russ Hixson was born in Des Moines, Iowa and has lived there all his life. After graduating from Hoover High School in 1981, he attended the University of Iowa, where he obtained his accounting degree in 1986. He then attended the University of Iowa College of Law and graduated in 1989. His fields of practice include medical negligence and personal injury. He has a deep conviction for helping individuals and families that are suffering financially, emotionally and physically from the effects of medical injuries or injuries caused by motor vehicle and truck accidents.
- Gamble & Davis, P.C., Partner, 1989 to 1994
- Dickenson Law Firm, Partner, 1994 to 2001
- University of Iowa College of Law, Iowa City, Iowa
- J.D. - 1989
- Honors: With Distinction
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
- B.A. - 1986
- Major: Accounting
- Annual Convention, Presenter: "Medical Malpractice Tort Reform in Iowa, What You Need to Know", Iowa Association for Justice, 2017
- Annual Convention, Presenter: "Iowa’s New Candor Law", Iowa Association for Justice, 2015
- Polk County Bar Association, Member, 1989 to Present
- Iowa State Bar Association, Member, 1989 to Present
- Iowa Association for Justice, Member, 1989 to Present
- American Association for Justice, Member, 1989 to Present
- American Bar Association, Member, Present
- Norwalk Christian Academy, Board Member, 2015 to Present
- Norwalk Christian Academy, Chairman of the Board, 2018 to Present
- Iowa Trial Lawyers Association Board of Governors, Board Member, 3 years
Current Employment Positions
- Iowa, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1989
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Iowa, 1989
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Iowa, 1989
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 1994
- "Top 10 Attorneys", American Jurist Institute
- "Top 25 Trial Lawyers" Medical Malpractice, The National Trial Lawyers
- "Top 100 Trial Lawyers", The National Trial Lawyers
- Lifetime Achievement Award, America’s Top 100 Attorneys
- "10 Best Attorneys", American Institute of Legal Counsel
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Member
- Sigma Chi
- Houghton v. Sipco, Inc., 828 F.Supp. 631, 1993, S.D.Iowa
- Haupt v. Miller, 514 N.W.2d 905, 1994, Iowa
- City of Johnston v. Christenson, 822 N.W.2d 745, 2012 WL 4513865 (Table), 2012, Iowa App., No. 11–1832
- Orgovanyi v. Henry County Health Center, 797 N.W.2d 131 (Table) 2010 WL 5394785, 2010, Iowa App.
- City of Johnston v. Christenson, 771 N.W.2d 651 (Table) 2009 WL 1211868, 2009, Iowa App.
- Shelter Mut. Ins. Co. v. Davis, 753 N.W.2d 18 (Table) 2008 WL 2200082, 2008, Iowa App.
- Featherstone v. Hy-Vee, Inc., 720 N.W.2d 191 (Table) 2006 WL 1231662, 2006, Iowa App.
- Shelter Mut. Ins. Co. v. Davis, 715 N.W.2d 769 (Table) 2006 WL 929239, 2006, Iowa App.
- City of Johnston v. Christenson, 718 N.W.2d 290, 2006, Iowa
- Baker v. Board of Adjustment, City of Johnston, 671 N.W.2d 405, 2003, Iowa
- ACCO Unlimited Corp. v. City of Johnston, 611 N.W.2d 506, 2000, Iowa
- State ex rel. Goettsch v. Diacide Distributors, Inc., 596 N.W.2d 532, 1999, Iowa
- Johnson v. Johnson, 564 N.W.2d 414, 1997, Iowa
- State ex rel. Goettsch v. Diacide Distributors, Inc., 561 N.W.2d 369, 1997, Iowa
- United States, ex rel. Thayer v. Planned Parenthood of the Heartland, 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 181100, 2016, S.D. IA
- United States, ex rel. Thayer v. Planned Parenthood of the Heartland, 765 F.3d 914, 2014, 8th Cir.
- United States, ex rel. Thayer v. Planned Parenthood of the Heartland, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 191747, 2012, S.D. IA
- United States, ex rel. Hixson v. Health Management Systems, 613 F.3d 1186, 2010, 8th Cir.
- Davidson v. Countryman, 2002 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 12943, 2002, S.D. Iowa
- Swanson v. Van Otterloo, 177 F.R.D. 645, 1998, N.D. Iowa
- Swanson v. Van Otterloo, 993 F. Supp. 1224, 1998, N.D. Iowa