West Des Moines Wrongful Death Lawyer Representing Fatal Medical Malpractice Claims
If your family member died in a hospital or emergency room, you may not feel ready to talk to a wrongful death lawyer about your legal options. You need time to grieve. However, if the death was due to medical negligence, it is important to talk to a wrongful death law firm as soon as possible. You have rights that need to be protected.
Hixson & Brown, P.C., consists of a team of experienced wrongful death lawyers in West Des Moines that represents families throughout Iowa. We are skilled trial advocates with the experience and resources needed to establish liability and obtain maximum compensation in complex medical malpractice cases. When we represent you, we will work diligently to obtain full compensation for you and justice for the loss of your loved one.
Wrongful Death Requires Prompt Action
In a case of wrongful death in a health care setting, it is important to begin the investigation process promptly. We have handled cases where hospitals or hospital employees have altered records to cover up evidence of negligence and to protect themselves from liability. Your wrongful death attorney needs to act quickly to collect and preserve evidence. In addition, Iowa has a two-year statute of limitation from the time you know or should know that medical malpractice caused your loved one’s death.
When Does Malpractice Lead to Death?
Although many legal errors can cause illness and injury, some types of medical malpractice are more likely to lead to a fatality. These include:
- Misdiagnosis and delayed diagnosis – Failure to promptly and correctly identify a medical issue can cost a patient precious time needed for treatment. This is especially critical in an emergency room.
- Information flow and communication problems – Too often, medical personnel do not take the time necessary to document and review information or to gather critical information from a patient that could make a big difference in outcome.
- Patient-related errors – Another major miscommunication problem includes ensuring that the provider identifies the correct patient, including the correct records, diagnosis and medications taken. In addition, too often, the patient does not understand their diagnosis and treatment options or has not given proper consent to a procedure.
- Infection – Hospitals are notorious breeding grounds for infections, which can often be treated if caught early. Too often, hospital staff does not catch them in time.
- Medication errors – It may come as no surprise that giving a patient the wrong drug or the wrong dosage can easily lead to death. Many situations can lead to these errors, such as improper procedures, poor communication, incomplete records and understaffed facilities.
- Technical problems with equipment or medical devices – Faulty equipment or medical devices used on patients can result in tragic consequences. Equipment must be maintained and replaced on a regular basis.
Our team can help you determine whether medical malpractice led to your loved one’s death. We have the experience necessary with these cases to examine your case and help you decide how to proceed.
Compensation In a Wrongful Death Case
While money can never replace your family member, a wrongful death lawsuit can help your family deal with financial issues related to the death. It can also hold medical providers accountable.
Depending on the circumstances of your case, compensation for wrongful death can include:
- Medical costs incurred prior to death
- Funeral expenses
- Loss of financial support
- Loss of consortium and companionship
- Loss of parental guidance for a child
- Loss of accumulation to the estate
- Loss of health insurance
- Loss of household services
Our wrongful death attorneys often work with economists, financial planners, life care planners and other experts to determine the full value of your losses.
Contact Us Today
To request a free case evaluation, call our wrongful death law firm at 515-644-6133. You can also reach us via our online contact form.