Brand logo
The Answers You’ll Need
COVID-19 UPDATE: To protect our employees, our clients, their families and the community, Hixson & Brown will be offering video conferencing to those clients who would like to communicate with us, but who are unable to travel to our offices. We will remain accessible by telephone and by email. We will continue to represent our clients and review new cases on a daily basis.
Brand Logo
Free Consultations Local: 515-650-4531 Toll Free: 800-229-9854
Only one attorney in the State of Iowa receives this award each year.

On 11/5/20, the Iowa Association for Justice (f/k/a the Iowa Trial Lawyers Association) named Russ Hixson, of Hixson & Brown, the Outstanding Member Award recipient for 2020.

Medical Malpractice Trail Lawyers | Top 25
The national Trial Lawyers
ATA Badge
Million Dollar Advocates Forum
10| Best | 2019 | Client Satisfaction | American Institute of | Personal Injury Attorneys | TM

Experience. Hard Work. Results.


Get help to avoid caregiver burnout after a birth injury

Taking care of a newborn baby is exhausting work. Sitting down to eat a meal may seem like an impossible luxury. It is common for new parents to feel exhausted and frustrated. For those with the unique burdens that come from caring for a child with special needs because of a birth injury like cerebral palsy, the demands involved in caring for their child likely won’t get easier as time passes.

Instead, they will likely have newborn-level parenting requirements for their child for the foreseeable future. New parents facing the difficult reality of caring for a child with special needs may find that they need support and compensation in order to maintain their household.

Parents often have a full-time job in childcare alone

Parenting is around-the-clock work, but parents with young children can often go back to paid employment when their children reach a point where they can go to daycare. Children with serious birth injuries may not be able to stay with a standard child care provider and might instead require expensive nursing support during the day.

Families often find it is more cost-effective for one spouse to leave their profession and provide full-time care for a child with special needs then to bring in outside help. Having nothing to focus on but your child might increase your risk of caregiver burnout.

Performing exercises at home, taking a child to multiple medical appointments and still trying to care for the house and themselves is the lot for many parents of young children was birth injuries. Asking for help, including help getting compensation because of the injury, could make life easier for your whole family.

Medical malpractice claims can offer your family justice and help

When a medical professional makes a mistake that will impact your child’s health and quality of life for their entire future, your family shouldn’t have to bear that burden alone.

You may have the option of filing a medical malpractice insurance claim or bringing a civil lawsuit against the doctor, practice or facility responsible for the medical assistant that produced your child’s birth injury. That compensation could help replace your lost wages, cover medical expenses and take a little bit of the pressure off of your family as you adjust to your new reality.

FindLaw Network
Medical Malpractice / Birth Injury / Cerebral Palsy.
Medical Malpractice / Birth related bowel injury.
Medical Negligence / HELLP Syndrome / Post-pregnancy death.
Motor vehicle collision / death.
Professional Negligence claim.
Medical Malpractice / Premature Birth / Grade IV Intra-ventricular hemorrhage / Periventricular Leukomalacia.
Medical Malpractice / Gastric Bypass Surgery / Post-operative Infection.

How can we help?

AV-LexisNexis PeerReviewRated