Hixson & Brown, P.C.
Free Consultations
Local: 515-650-4531 Toll Free: 800-229-9854
The national Trail Lawyers

The National Trial Lawyers is a professional organization composed of trial lawyers across the country who exemplify superior qualifications as civil plaintiff or criminal defense attorneys.

10| Best | 2016 | Client Satisfaction | American Institute of | Personal Injury Attorneys | TM

The American Institute of Legal Counsel compiles an exclusive list of the “10 Best” Attorneys for each state. It is limited to attorneys who “have achieved unparalleled success", but most importantly have done so for the benefit of their client.

Million Dollar Advocates Forum

Drunk driving can change lives in a moment

As a victim of a drunk driving accident, you want to know the laws in the state to understand how the person who struck you can be held accountable for his or her actions. You have the option of seeking a civil lawsuit to claim compensation for your financial losses, and having information on how the person violated the law can help.

For example, if you were hit by a teen driver who tested with a blood alcohol concentration of .02, then that teen will be considered to be driving drunk even though the BAC is not 0.08 or higher. Teens are held to a different standard than adults, so you can use this to your advantage when you seek a settlement from the teen's insurance or from the teen him or herself in the case that no insurance coverage is available.

Another situation that could help you with your case against the driver is if you find out that the driver does not have a license. Even if you were hurt in a crash where you were at fault, if the other driver was drunk and had no license, then the driver is likely to be held responsible at least in part for the accident.

Regardless of who is at fault in a crash, it must be reported to the police if there is an injury or damage exceeding $1,500. The driver who hit you has to prove financial responsibility by showing that he or she has insurance. If not, then that is something you can take to court along with the facts of your case.

Source: Iowa.gov, "Suspensions/Revocations," accessed Nov. 17, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Hixson & Brown PC
160 South 68th Street
Suite 1108
West Des Moines, IA 50266

Map & Directions

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.