Hixson & Brown, P.C.
Free Consultations
Local: 515-650-4531 Toll Free: 800-229-9854
The national Trail Lawyers

The National Trial Lawyers is a professional organization composed of trial lawyers across the country who exemplify superior qualifications as civil plaintiff or criminal defense attorneys.

10| Best | 2016 | Client Satisfaction | American Institute of | Personal Injury Attorneys | TM

The American Institute of Legal Counsel compiles an exclusive list of the “10 Best” Attorneys for each state. It is limited to attorneys who “have achieved unparalleled success", but most importantly have done so for the benefit of their client.

Million Dollar Advocates Forum

What is drugged driving and is it common?

Drunk driving isn't the only issue on the roads. On top of drinking, there are also those who get high before they get behind the wheel and people who are on prescription medications that make it hard to concentrate or stay awake.

What is drugged driving and is it very common?

Drugged driving is a growing issue in the United States. It can happen when someone takes medications or uses an illicit substance. The problem is that it's very hard to tell who could be driving while impaired; many people are on legal substances and simply have bad reactions, whereas others are high on drugs that are illegal.

Is drugged driving a choice?

Getting behind the wheel of a vehicle while impaired is a choice. Those who are taking new medications should know not to drive or to wait to see how the medications affect them; drugs that could affect their ability to drive safely will have that information provided on the bottle as a warning.

Those who drink or get high and drive are making a choice to get behind the wheel after using illegal or intoxicating substances. If they hurt someone, it was their decision to break the law, drive and act recklessly.

What can you do if you've been involved in an accident with a drugged or drunk driver?

After you're in a collision with a drunk or intoxicated driver, you, as a victim, have a right to a civil claim. This claim is for compensation. The police may decide to pursue criminal charges, which you may also be involved in, such as testifying. However, criminal charges are not required for you to file a civil claim. An attorney has more information.

Source: MADD, "A Growing Problem," accessed Aug. 15, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Hixson & Brown PC
160 South 68th Street
Suite 1108
West Des Moines, IA 50266

Map & Directions

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.