Hixson & Brown, P.C.
Free Consultations
Local: 515-650-4531 Toll Free: 800-229-9854
The national Trail Lawyers

The National Trial Lawyers is a professional organization composed of trial lawyers across the country who exemplify superior qualifications as civil plaintiff or criminal defense attorneys.

10| Best | 2016 | Client Satisfaction | American Institute of | Personal Injury Attorneys | TM

The American Institute of Legal Counsel compiles an exclusive list of the “10 Best” Attorneys for each state. It is limited to attorneys who “have achieved unparalleled success", but most importantly have done so for the benefit of their client.

Million Dollar Advocates Forum

You can file a claim after being hit by a drunk driver

In Iowa, there are laws that prevent people who would crash due to drunk or drugged driving from getting behind the wheel after they've been caught in the past. The state OWI law states that no person is legally allowed to drive a vehicle when under the influence of drugs or alcoholic beverages. If you have a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more, you're considered to be legally drunk and unfit to drive safely.

If a person decides to drive despite being intoxicated, that person is choosing to put others at risk. If you're hit because that person decided to drive, you're in a position to make a claim to seek out compensation for your injuries and any damages done to a vehicle or your personal property.

Iowa is an implied consent state, which means anyone who drives has to take a blood, breath, or urine test upon request to find out if the person is under the influence of drugs or alcohol as long as there are reasonable grounds for the request. Because of this, you should easily be able to find out if the person who hit you was intoxicated at the time of the collision.

If you are hit on someone's first offense, that person will have his or her license revoked for 180 days or longer; this is done to help keep others and yourself safe from their choices. In some cases, there may be other penalties for the driver, as criminal charges and a civil lawsuit could be filed against him.

Our website has more information on what happens after a person is involved in a car accident with a pedestrian. You have rights, and it's your right to exercise them.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Hixson & Brown PC
160 South 68th Street
Suite 1108
West Des Moines, IA 50266

Map & Directions

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.