Hixson & Brown, P.C.
Free Consultations
Local: 515-650-4531 Toll Free: 800-229-9854
The national Trail Lawyers

The National Trial Lawyers is a professional organization composed of trial lawyers across the country who exemplify superior qualifications as civil plaintiff or criminal defense attorneys.

10| Best | 2016 | Client Satisfaction | American Institute of | Personal Injury Attorneys | TM

The American Institute of Legal Counsel compiles an exclusive list of the “10 Best” Attorneys for each state. It is limited to attorneys who “have achieved unparalleled success", but most importantly have done so for the benefit of their client.

Million Dollar Advocates Forum

Drunk driving and your case: A civil lawsuit in Iowa

As someone who has been through a serious accident with a drunk or intoxicated driver in Iowa, you may wonder what's keeping them off the roads following the accident. You are hurt because of the behavior they exhibited, so it's perfectly reasonable to want them off the roads. In most cases, there are penalties like the loss of a license that will restrict the driver's ability to drive. This is true even if they won't take the test to see if they're intoxicated. A criminal case may be brought against the driver by the police, and you may also choose to seek compensation through a civil lawsuit.

For those who face an OWI in Iowa following a stop or accident, there are some punishments that could result. For one thing, the driver's license will likely be lost, and he or she will have to go through a substance abuse evaluation, state-approved alcohol education program and pay any penalties or fines required.

As the person injured, you may want to make sure that the person who is accused in your drunk driving case is held accountable. Even if criminal charges aren't placed, you're able to seek a civil lawsuit for compensation. With a civil lawsuit, you can request compensation for medical bills, lost wages and the loss of future wages due to your condition.

You can also seek compensation for your pain and suffering or the loss of consortium if you've lost a loved one in a car accident. With the right case, you can support your needs and show that you deserve every penny of what you've asked for.

Source: Iowa Department of Education, "OWI Education" Dec. 23, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Hixson & Brown PC
160 South 68th Street
Suite 1108
West Des Moines, IA 50266

Map & Directions

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.